LoofCo Washing-Up Pad
LoofCo Washing-Up Pad
When we started Viveco we initially stocked what we thought were the best option for Washing Up Sponges the 'Recycled' Option (still available here until we finish our current stock) but the more we learnt we began to realise that these are not the answer. Although they are Recycled which means no raw material is used in the manufacture - these sponges still contain plastic which everytime you use is being rinsed down the sink. Traditional sponges have a relatively short 'sinklife' and still end up in landfill. So the search began for a true alternative and we are SO glad we found the Loofco Washpad ! This is one of those products where, in our opinion, the alternative is better than the original.
My son eats porridge most mornings, and we do a lot of experimental baking, so our sponges really get tested, my absolute favourite thing about these is that the 'holes' in the Loofa enable them to be thoroughly rinsed out after each use so you don't get any food residue sitting in them. I once thought it had met its match with some Chia seeds but after a few more uses even they came out. These sponges are tough enough to deal with pretty stubborn food but soft enough that they don't scratch or damage. They dry quickly (hang over the tap) so there is less chance for bacteria to grow and they last for AGES! (note - I pushed mine to the max for the purposes of testing and it was a good 3-4 months before it really started to loosen)
When the sponge is wet it doubles in size. I used to cut mine in half as it felt too big (2 for the price of one) but now I love the size and shape - great for getting into the bottom of cups. This combined with a natural fibre Pot Brush for really baked on (burnt) pans is all we use round our sink. At the end of its life this can go on the compost heap/organic rubbish as it is completely natural!
- A long-lasting, non-scratch washing-up pad made from Loofah plant
- Will last for months and at the end of its natural life can be composted
- Biodegradable & recyclable alternative to plastic sponges
- Made from sustainable raw materials
- Supports traditional skills, crops and cottage industries while ensuring fair wages
- May appear abrasive in its dry state, but when immersed in water the pad will swell to become a soft, spongy and flexible pad
- Soft enough for non-stick pans, supple enough to fit into mugs
- To keep your loofah fresh between uses, squeeze out any excess water, shake out any food particles and hang it to dry from the cotton string loop.
- Occasionally wash in the washing machine or by hand if you like
Who Makes Me ?
Loofco is an in house range from the Uk registered company NatBrands.
LoofCo farming practices are sustainable and to the highest environmental standards. Coconut and Loofah are both renewable raw materials that absorb CO2 when growing. Furthermore, we use coconut fibres and husks that are left over from coconut food and oil production which would otherwise be wasted or burnt. All elements of LoofCo products are 100% compostable and biodegradable, Our cardboard packaging is recyclable"
"LoofCo products are inspired by cleaning methods that have been tried and tested over generations. Using this knowledge, they are skilfully created in Sri Lanka and Egypt. We take care to ensure that local farmers and production workers have an inclusive workplace, are treated fairly with wages and benefits, such as medical insurance, higher than normal rates. No children are employed. LoofCo Products are Vegan"